Dental tips to try between dentist visits
I have been going to the dentist for about forty years now and have had almost every kind of procedure imaginable except an implant, which is coming in 2017 and a bridge ,which I am trying to put off for as long as possible, like maybe 20 to 40 more years…. Over the years, I have learned a few things about dental hygiene, so we put together these tips for you to try at home between dental visits.
- You must brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day and we recommend using a soft-bristled brush. I am guilty of not brushing for the entire two minutes, but I try to go over each area thoroughly and I find that helps the two minutes pass by faster.
2. Use a toothpaste with fluoride. Most name brand toothpaste that you purchase in the store has Fluoride and that helps prevent tooth decay by strengthening tooth enamel when cavities are forming. Only use a small dab of fluoridated toothpaste for children.
3. Floss twice daily to remove plaque between the teeth where the toothbrush can’t reach. I did not know this and I though flossing once a day was enough, nut the recommended amount of flossing is twice daily.
4. America is hooked on sugar and reducing sugar intake will help prevent cavities. Sugar is one of the leading causes of tooth decay. We just wrote an article in December about How to reduce your sugar cravings. It’s a good article and worth the read. http://www.vartaniandentalgroup.com/blog/tips-lowering-sugar-cravings/
5. Visit the dentist twice yearly for regular dental examination and teeth cleaning by a dental hygienist to prevent plaque buildup and the gum diseases of gingivitis and periodontists. Since I have several crowns, veneers, root canals etc and since I have admittedly don’t brush and floss as thoroughly as I should, I just make 3 visits per year and that seems to work great for me.I visit my dentist every 4 months.
6. When I was younger, I was really bad a t taking care of my teeth, so my dentist put sealants on my back teeth. The sealants help prevent pits and cavities and since I wasn’t brushing and flossing properly, this helped me to clean my teeth easier.
7. If you smoke, Quit Smoking! I know, easier said than done, but smoking is a leading cause of gum disease and numerous other
I hope you enjoyed these dental tips. I highly recommend using these tips between dental visits and you will have better check ups at the dentist. If you are looking for the best Dentist in Orange County, look no further than Vartanian Dental Group in Mission Viejo, Ca. They have specialists for every dental procedure imaginable in house all under one roof. From children’s dentistry to orthodontics to crowns, veneers and dental implants, the Vartanian Dental Group of Mission Viejo can handle it all. We accept most insurance plans and are in-network with most. Delta Dental is our #1 accepted dental insurance! They have patients coming from Ladera Ranch, Irvine, Lake Forrest, Laguna Hills, San Clemente and even further away. Come see why this dentist office in Mission Viejo is the best! Visit our website at www.VartanianDentalGroup.com or call to schedule your next appointment 949-586-5669 and experience the difference…